Monday, February 27, 2012

EDSS 531: Journal #5

Journal #5
                 When looking back to clinical practice last semester, I seemed to find more about my students’ needs as I could have ever imagined. Especially as my first experience as a teacher inside the classroom, I was very excited to learn more about my students. The most surprising ‘need’ I found out about my students was that they all seemed to want to learn the content, and therefore they wanted me to make the content accessible to all of them. This meant it seemed as though if I made it relevant and intriguing to them they were on board. They also needed to feel apart of a community in the classroom and in the entire school. In the classroom, they want to feel safe and comfortable with their peers and me as the teacher.


          My first reaction is that I do have some sort of sense of what my students’ needs are. However, when I dig deeper and think through what my students really need I feel lost and not confident in the knowledge I have to know exactly what they need. A part of me feels as though it is only because I am a beginning teacher and that through time and being around students, the same community, and teaching for some time I will have a better understanding of my students. The gap, I believe, is largest for me in relation to my students is knowing each and every students’ different individual needs. When I observe very experienced teachers, they all seem to be very aware of each and every one of their students needs about learning and about their personal lives.

           In clinical practice, I believe the negative response that struck me the hardest was when a teacher would talk about students like they had given up on them or they were incapable of learning the material. This was extremely discouraging as I feel no student should be regarded as someone not important within my classroom. I am astonished that every single teacher wouldn’t put as much effort as he or she can to help those students succeed in one way or another. In the reading, “One Teacher’s Story,” I found myself thinking about the community needs of my current students, in particular. I feel I could be in the same situation as Ms. Warren was in. Although I grew up and went to school in the same community as I know have clinical practice in, I feel as though I do not know the specific community needs of my students. In relation to my biases, I am not sure if this reason is that I do not belong to the Hispanic race and therefore I have never ventured in to learn a great deal about their culture and traditions. I may fall under the same setup that Ms. Warren where “It is easier not to know.” At the moment, I do not believe that I am purposely doing this, however, being unaware is unacceptable. It is my responsibility as an educator to dig deeper into the culture of my students and make sure the curriculum we are teaching in the classroom is relevant to every student’s life and needs. 

No comments:

Post a Comment