Wednesday, April 18, 2012

CMC - South Conference November 2011


Although it is a long time coming, I feel this is a good time for me to reflect on my very first professional conference! This conference was the California Mathematics Conference, South, in November of last year in Palm Springs. I am not sure what I was exactly expecting from the conference, but I know that it was very valuable for me to attend as a professional math educator. The highlight of the conference was the mass amount of  information (as well as the free stuff like worksheets, whiteboards, and other resources for the classroom). The best part of it all was that it was all information that I could go back and directly use in my classroom. I took many, many notes on all of the sessions I attended and I am just now reviewing them.

Two of the sessions stood out to me the most, and no surprise, it was Dan Meyer’s and Jo Boaler’s presentations.

Dan Meyer’s presentation was titled Why Students Hate Word Problems. He has presented this speech at multiple conferences, which many of you have seen. I believe this may also be on the website TED.com.  He discuss that there are three “acts” to a word problem. His act one is to have a hook to the word problem  to “hook” the students in on the question. This may include visuals, like a short video clip. Act two is about what tools, resources, needed to figure out from act one. His point was about students asking the questions about what resources or information they would need to be able to solve the question. Act three is the final scene. In an example he used about graduation. Something along the lines of: two students names being read every minute, how long would it be until all the names are read? The final scene would be showing a fast forward clip of the amount of time the graduation took. There were many other examples Dan Meyer showed in his presentation, and I am sure most of them could be found on his blog. Some tips or other information he said in his presentation: create a curious sequel that broadens students knowledge and practice, try to provoke a deep burning question in creating these problems, and don’t always look to the text book for good word problems, they are too confusing and do not make sense in a real world situation. Read more about on Dan Meyer’s blog page.

From Jo Boaler’s session called Engaging Disaffected Students in Algebra, there was again too much information to share all of it with you. So, I will share her key points once again. She brought up four teaching principles: 1. Engage students as active and capable learners, 2. Teach reasoning (CCSS Math Practices), 3. Develop collaborative, mathematical community, 4. Opportunity for student voice. She then went on to explain techniques on how we can accomplish this in the classroom. Some of her tips were to same things like “Can you walk me through your thinking?”, or “What I hear you say”. Other information I got from her session was the metaphor of teaching in color as opposed to teaching in black and white. Especially with math, I agreed that it is more about the wide spectrum of understanding and thinking of the students rather than a shear right or wrong way to think about it or answer.

Overall, I would highly recommend a professional conference if you have not been to one! It is great for many things, no matter your content area! 

No comments:

Post a Comment