Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Returning to the Ranch

       Being on spring break, I had the opportunity to return to my Clinical Practice I site, Rancho Buena Vista High School, in Vista, CA. I was very excited to go back and see my students and cooperating teacher considering I have not had the chance all semester. I was expecting the usual "Hello" and "Hey, how are you?" 's but nothing more. As I sat in the classroom waiting for my second period students to come to class, I was anxious of their reactions. Surprisingly, most all students were strolling in as usual and then all of a sudden would have the reaction similar to that of a "OO, Ms. Knudsen! Hi! Are you back to teach us?!", all with smiles on their faces. Most surprising, were the students who were very quiet and showed little emotion in the class when I was teaching. Those students would have the same enthusiastic reaction. Fourth period's class had the same reactions, although, also had to ask me how I was doing, what I was up to, do I like my new students better than them, and so forth. I am very happy about the opportunity I had to meet the kids I met and were able to teach last semester in Clinical Practice I. Although I may never get the chance to see them grow into adults, I will always remember them and wish them the very best.

       As I was sitting in the classroom watching my old cooperating teacher teach, just as he did last semester, I felt filled with joy. The students reactions alone were amazing. It is very difficult to explain the feeling I had in that moment. Although I can say, It truly is the greatest feeling when you have made just a small, positive impact on your students' lives. I am very fortunate and proud to be a teacher!

     

No comments:

Post a Comment