Thursday, March 29, 2012

EDSS 531: Educational Philosophy/Model Integration

           Comparing both the models we have studied in class and my educational philosophy, it was difficult for me to think of two models that represent my educational philosophy well. I feel as though scientific inquiry was the best example of what my philosophy would be. However, for my second choice of models closely aligned to my philosophy I would have to choose memorization.
            My educational philosophy, in summary, stems from experimentalism, also known as pragmatism, in the belief that essence of education is growth. This leads to the notion that the learner is an experiencing organism who needs to have his/her interest sparked through motivation by a teacher’s guidance in order to become actively involved in his or her own learning process.
In relation to the models, scientific inquiry is about experimentation and constructing knowledge from experimentation. Allowing students to work with mathematical problems that are unfamiliar to them and then having the students come up with how solve problems. Having students come up with their own hypothesis and then going back and revising it will make the content accessible and memorable to all students.
            Although my educational philosophy does not match up with memorization perfectly, I feel I will use the technique of memorization throughout my teaching. Participating in the memorization presentation in class reassured me that using the techniques of memorization are important in mathematics. Although I believe mathematics should not be solely based upon memorizing certain formulas and processes, there are instances where it is most definitely needed. Also, I would like to make mathematics fun and a bit silly sometimes which is what memorization is all about. I want to make mathematics memorable for my students using the different techniques like songs and acronyms.

No comments:

Post a Comment