Monday, March 5, 2012

What would happen if we took grades out of the equation?


What would happen if we took grades out of the equation? Would kids learn more or less than they do now?
         This is most definitely an intriguing question. I believe if we were to do a full 180 degree flip, with no grades, learning was the goal, and thus emphasizing learning will help you be the most successful one could be, then kids may learn more than they do now. Kids would know if they did not learn the content then they would be less successful in life, then they would hopefully be more motivated to want to learn. However, I feel as though that would be the perfect example and not at all close to reality. I do feel if we were to get rid of grades right now students would learn less. There may not be anything important that would push them to better themselves through learning. Young students who do feel that push or can see the importance may push on easily, but there may also be young children who would choose not to learn for their future’s sake. This is a tough question and answer for me. I am not completely sure what would happen! I would want to learn more, personally, but I am not sure about everyone else. Also, I would love to teach a class in which learning was valued over grades. All students would then want and strive to learn all they can rather than wanting the best grade. That is a great scenario! 

No comments:

Post a Comment