Sunday, March 18, 2012

Full Speed Ahead Into CPII

         As Clinical Practice II is begins tomorrow, I wanted to take a step back and reflect on my experience from clinical practice I as well as conjure up some thoughts about the next 10 weeks.
         Last semester I was placed at Rancho Buena Vista High School, in Vista, CA. Looking back, I truly believe I could not have a better first experience as a teacher in the classroom. My cooperating teacher and students welcomed me into the classroom and were all very kind. I began to learn a lot about the different styles of teaching from observing my cooperative teacher as well as other teachers throughout the campus. At first it was difficult for me to be myself, possibly because I was simply nervous about formally teaching for the very first time. Although, as the semester went on I found it extremely easy to feel comfortable as the teacher in the classroom. Another difficult part about being a teacher, that I learned very quickly, is the amount the different things there is to be done before, during, and after class to be entirely successful and the best teacher possibly for your students. For instance, when I first began full time CPI, I found that I was running (figuratively, although it felt as though I was literally running) around the class to accomplish every single thing. I was focusing too much energy on my teacherly duties rather than my students and what the students were thinking and learning. I was informed this was completely normal for a beginning teacher, but I tried my hardest to learn how I could be more effective. As CP I went on, I definitely learned a lot from these difficulties and more. I was able to plan lessons, test out some instructional strategies I learned from class at Cal State San Marcos, and reflect upon what worked well and improvements I could make to both the content of the lesson and how I implemented it. There were many highlights throughout the semester, but one the most exciting points for me was end of the semester when my cooperating teacher and students surprised me with a booklet of amazing messages from them. It was really touching to read all of their awesome messages to me!
          As I head into CP II, my main goal for this semester is to be the best I can be in order to obtain a job after this semester. For Clinical Practice II, I am at Escondido High School, my alma mater! I am very excited to be at EHS. I am going to aim to piece everything I have learned together. I hope to effectively plan and collaborate with the cooperating teacher for all of my lessons. I want to focus more than ever on my students needs concerning the content as well as personal needs, rather than the instruction. I hope to be ever so involved in my school, mostly because I care more about this school and community because it is my home. Again, I am extremely excited about this semester!! I hope all goes well.

1 comment:

  1. Brittany,
    Glad to hear CPI went so well for you. That's pretty cool that you get to teach at your Alma Mater this semester. I Hope CPII proves to be a good experience for you as well.

    ReplyDelete